Mean Girls And Classic Lit? Sign Me Up!




I shamelessly attended high school in the '00s.  Which means that I love anything and everything related to Mean Girls.  October 3rd is my day,  I love when I happen to wear pink on Wednesdays, I never wear a disgusting vest, and I always look for ways to reference the movie in class :)

I am currently teaching Lord of The Flies, and am trying to make these 10-year-old British boys relatable and interesting to my high schoolers.  When thinking through the plot of the story, I realized that there are actually a TON of similarities between these two movies.  Not to mention that both are interesting explorations into the inner psyche of adolescents.

From my epiphany, I decided to create an assignment to get my students excited about the story, allow them to have a laugh, and still build their analytical skills.  Thus, I created the most respected form of conveying information for today's teen: A BuzzFeed post.

Yes, that's right.  You can make your own post! So I did. And I made a worksheet to go along with my lesson.   This activity asks the students to find textual proof for the claims given in the BuzzFeed post.  Students must reference the book and support their ideas and answers with concrete evidence from the text.

Here is the link for the post, and I have included the accompanying worksheet below.  Let me know how this lesson works out in your class! Hope you enjoy because it really is so fetch.



Want more Lord of the Flies lessons?   Find my other activities here!


No comments

amazon

Back to Top