New Books, New Me!



Aka, what is in my Junior Library Guild haul this month!

I love new books.  Luckily, the librarian at my school has come to realize this about me, and saves the monthly Junior Library Guild package for me to unbox every month.  It is like Christmas morning, except with more books!

So, what are the picks for high school readers this month?  Some really amazing and diverse reads! My favorite part about these monthly boxes is that the books always range in topic, genre, fiction/nonfiction, and reading level.  There is always something that will catch any reader's eye.

This month these three are my favorite picks, and the books I will be strategically dealing out to students who I think will enjoy them.

Pick one is A Season of Daring Greatly by Ellen Emerson White.  This book images the life of a newly drafted MLB player right out of high school.  Exciting in and of itself. However, the twist is that this young high schooler is also the first woman to be drafted in to MLB.  I'm feeling some  Mo'ne Davis and Pitch vibes from this.  First, the title is just simply beautiful language.  And second, what a great way for the young women in my class to imagine themselves in positions of greatness.  Cannot wait to put this book into one of my student's hands.  You can  find it for sale here:






The next read that looks amazing is Things I Should Have Known by Claire Lazebnik.  This book explores sibling relationships, living with a disability, building friendships, and life as a teen.  All topics I love reading about.  Plus, I'm super into the color scheme on the cover.  Love me some navy blue :)

You can find this read here:




Finally, my nonfiction pick.  I have always hated nonfiction, but I took this amazing class on  informational children's literature ( Hey Professor Moller!) and it is my new obsession.  I am living for the current trend in YA nonfiction, that explores great nonfiction topics in thrilling narrative format.  This next book looks like it is following that same trend, while also dealing with some serious topics.  

The Whydad explores piracy on the seven seas,  treasure hunting on shipwrecks, and the impact the slave trade had on modern society.


Discovering exciting new reads is always my favorite part of the day!






5 comments

  1. Excellent ideas and activities! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to make more time for reading, I so loved it when I was younger and as the days have got more hectic it's been pushed aside xx

    Sophia xx http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like books I would have certainly enjoyed in my teens.
    Lea, xx
    asnippetoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love YA fiction but have totally not realised that there's something like YA nonfiction too - definitely will need to explore that a little more because not gonna lie, there's not that many creative stories in YA fiction right now - or at least not in my local bookstore haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading, these are books I would really enjoy.thanks for sharing💝

    ReplyDelete

amazon

Back to Top