On Trend Book Recommendations ( and what to read when you finish binging 13 Reasons Why)


My favorite thing in the world is when a quality book is made into a teen TV show and then that TV show is a major hit.  Case in point: 13 Reasons Why.  This book by Jay Asher has always been a top pick with my students.  In fact, if I have a reluctant reader, this novel has always been one of the books that I put in their hands. And more often than not, they read the whole entire thing and come back asking for more.   So I am pretty much in English teacher heaven with the popularity not only among teens, but among all age groups for this new mini series.  Because that means I can place this book out on my desk, and I know I will not only get 15 million questions and comments about it through out the day, but I will also get at least 10 request to borrow my only copy.  ( Obviously I give it away and real quick whip up a sign up sheet for it!).  So, what do I do for my readers who come back begging for more, or who are at the bottom of my wait list?  I point them in the direction of some other quality reads that I know are either written in the same style, deal with the same types of characters and issues, or speak to the same themes that readers are loving.

And so I give you my list of quick reads for your students who are loving 13 Reasons Why! Hang this in your classroom for some instant book recs!   You can download it as a PDF on my TPT store here




3 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I may try a couple of these during breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! I have Thirteen Reasons Why on my summer reading list (for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I have yet to read (or watch) 13 reasons why but it is taking the classroom by storm! x

    Sophia x http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

amazon

Back to Top